Uranium Glass Accessory "Honeycomb"
This is a beautiful sand-tumbled Uranium glass accessory, we call this our "honeycomb glass" and this piece has been hand wrapped with textured Copper wire.
We like nothing better than to be in our little workshop creating things like this lovely Uranium glass accessory which could be used as a keyring, a bag charm or anything else you can think of. We especially like using Uranium glass (also known as Vaseline or Pearline glass) because it’s so unusual and beautiful. We don’t make much of this type of glass, which we call ‘honeycomb glass’ as it is a very involved procedure and therefore more expensive and time consuming. It’s made from raw stock Uranium glass sourced in the Czech Republic and we form it using multiple firings and fusing of ground glass (we grind the glass ourselves too) and use a process to create bubbles randomly. The resulting glass piece was then sand tumbled multiple times to get the right sea-glass effect and it looks especially beautiful under UV light.
After hand wrapping with textured Copper wire and using Silver solder for the joints to add strength, we used a combination of patinating and Nickel plating on the Copper wire to create our desired effect (Nickel imparts a durable, shiny finish). The Copper is not varnished and overtime the patina will change, this beautiful property of Copper means that your piece will take on individual characteristics, telling its own story of how it has been used.
- A more detailed description of Uranium Glass
- Our hand-crafted Uranium glass accessories are individual and one-of-kind; no two are the same.
- Uranium glass does not glow in the dark on its own but it exhibits a beautiful yellow green fluorescence under UV light (black-light). This photo-chemical phenomenon produces a somewhat eerie, ethereal glow which we find fascinating.
- Our Uranium glass pieces are carefully hand-crafted items and they may contain a number of lines, marks or surface features, these are an intentional result of the manufacturing process and are by design. When our Uranium glass pieces have been sand-tumbled their surfaces may not have a completely homogenous frosted appearance they may have some areas smoother than others and they may have lines, dents or even small chips. This is all part of the tumbling process and indeed if they were natural sea-glass the same sort of effects would occur.
- Size: Approximately 70mm x 30mm across widest points
- Weight: Approximately 30g
- Uranium Glass Accessories are not toys and are NOT suitable for children
- As it is made of glass this accessory may be fragile so we recommend careful use.
- Any UV light sources shown in the photographs are not included, they are just used to demonstrate the fluorescence of the Uranium glass.