Nature Worn Copper Slag Accessory
A striking nature worn Copper slag accessory, hand wrapped with Nickel plated Copper band and Silver soldered joints.
We like nothing better than to be in our little workshop creating things like this unusual Copper slag accessory which could be used as a keyring, a bag charm or anything else you can think of. We collect the nature worn Copper slag ourselves from Cornish beaches and quaysides, areas famous for the smelting of Copper ore in the 18th and 19th centuries; so each piece is a little bit of history! The Copper slag pieces have been naturally worn by the sand and sea and have varying degrees of weathering and we individually hand-wrap each one with Copper wire or Copper band.
For this piece we used a combination of patinating and Nickel plating on the Copper wire to create our desired effect (Nickel imparts a durable, shiny finish). The Copper is not varnished and overtime the patina will change, this beautiful property of Copper means that your piece will take on individual characteristics, telling its own story of how it has been used.
- Our hand-crafted Nature worn Copper slag accessories are individual and one-of-kind; no two are the same.
- Copper slag is a by-product of the Copper ore smelting process, the pieces can range from a dark black colour through dark grey to a more copper-brown colour. Some have a glass-like appearance; some have a ropy textured surface and some appear more pitted; we did a little research and discovered these differences depend on how quickly the Copper slag was cooled
- Size: Approximately 81mm x 23mm across widest points
- Weight: Approximately 23g
- These accessories are not toys and are NOT suitable for children
- This accessory may be fragile so we recommend careful use.