Captured in a Cage, Uranium Glass Accessory
Captured in a cage Uranium glass, the cage is made from Nickel plated Copper wire and is sealed shut, trapping the Uranium glass piece inside.
We like nothing better than to be in our little workshop creating things like our “captured in a cage Uranium glass” which could be used as a keyring, a bag charm or anything else you can think of. We made this piece from reclaimed antique Uranium glass, it has been kiln-fired then sand-tumbled to create a sea-glass effect before being hand wrapped with Copper wire using Silver soldered joints to add strength and aesthetic
We used a combination of Nickel plating on the Copper wire and patinating both the Nickel and Copper to create our desired aged and weathered effect giving the piece that “salvaged from an ancient shipwreck look”. The Copper is not varnished and overtime the patina will change, this beautiful property of Copper means that your piece will take on individual characteristics, telling its own story of how it has been used.
- A more detailed description of Uranium Glass
- Our hand-crafted Uranium glass accessories are individual and one-of-a-kind; no two are the same.
- Uranium glass does not glow in the dark on its own but it exhibits a beautiful yellow green fluorescence under UV light (black-light). This photo-chemical phenomenon produces a somewhat eerie, ethereal glow which we find fascinating.
- Our reclaimed Uranium glass pieces are obtained from Uranium glass dinnerware or ornamental items that were damaged and often retain the patterns or other surface features that were part of the design of the original item, this is an intentional result of our crafting process.
- When our Uranium glass pieces have been sand-tumbled their surfaces may not have a completely homogenous frosted appearance they may have some areas smoother than others and they may have lines, dents or even small chips. This is all part of the tumbling process and indeed if they were natural sea-glass the same sort of effects would occur.
- Size: Approximately 51mm x 27mm x 23mm across widest points
- Weight: Approximately 19g
- Uranium Glass Accessories are not toys and are NOT suitable for children
- As it is made of glass this accessory may be fragile so we recommend careful use.
- Any UV light sources shown in the photographs are not included, they are just used to demonstrate the fluorescence of the Uranium glass.